Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Where were you when...

Kathy Butler and I have discussed several times that we were in the library at Central School, selecting books on our lunch hour, when we learned that JFK had been assassinated. Miss Jacobs came in to tell Miss Blackburn and they both started to cry. Then, the bell rang and we went back to class where we learned a little more and also discovered that we were being dismissed for the day.

So here's my question for Class of 71: Where were you at that fateful hour and what details do you remember? We probably need to capture these memories for later generations.

Post a comment or send me your memory via e'mail.

Judy J.

2 comments:

The Baums said...

I was in 5th grade at Clearlake Elementary. We were out playing outside. It was either morning recess or lunch recess when the news started filtering out. I think I was playing jump rope - remember where you had two people turning the rope and we had all kinds of jump rope rhymes? Anyway things kind of stopped out on the blacktop as kids started talking about the unbelievable news. "The president has been shot." We wondered how bad it was - had others been shot? Was he dead? Were the Russians invading?

Then it was time to go inside, and our teacher, Mrs. Nordmark, confirmed the news that the President had indeed been shot - I don't think we knew at that time if he would die. Then we were all sent home. Our TV at home wasn't working, so I went to a friend's house were we watched the news coverage most of the afternoon. If was hard to believe such a horrible thing had happened in our beloved nation.
~Ruth Ann Johnson Baum

Nancaleen said...

I was in the lunch line at Central Grade School. I don't think I would remember that room if it wasn't for that memory and also the polio vaccines were administered there. We were sent home early, my mom wasn't home so my sibs and cousins were sent to my Aunty Carol's neighbor Mrs. Hill who looked after us until our moms returned home.(I have no aunts, they are all auntys).
It was such a scary time for us. I remember running home as fast as I could when we had the Cuban Missle Crisis Drills. Hiding under my desk for the earthquake drills. And then the President gets murdered!